Thursday, January 25, 2007

Only one regret

After a long few weeks filled with too many good-byes, I have finally started my long journey.

Leaving my parents and grandmother at the airport was rather difficult. As with any big trip like this I have had to say goodbye to too many good people who have really been a part of my life. Understandably so though, saying goodbye to my close family was the most difficult of them all. Luckily I didn’t shed too many tears, and the momentum of this trip rushed me away to my new life.

The first leg of the journey has not been too difficult. In fact I learned a little about myself that I never knew. Most notably, that I am still prone to motion sickness; particularly while traveling in small commuter planes. I feel it may have had something to do with my severe lack of sleep from the night before, however these are only suspicions.

Strangely my BIG thought as the plane was finally taking off had nothing to do with the good people I left behind, or the statistics of the chance of crashing during take-off. My thoughts dwelled on a regret that I hadn’t anticipated. I never ate any snow during the last snowfall. It’s one of those luxuries that many of us probably take advantage of. Do you remember back when you were a child, diving into the pile of freshly fallen fluff? You always swallowed a little, and happily let the airy flakes of ice melt quickly on your tongue. Or if you were lucky enough, you could crunch a mouthful into a denser version of itself, before it too quickly melted away. The whole act itself being a carefree self indulgence that almost contained a somewhat sensuousness facet, shared in your own private bubble. I won’t be able to do this again for a long time. Even if I do encounter snow down under, I fear it just won’t be the same. When I was in the Antarctic the subtle difference I had never expected, was that the snow contains a different quality. I was more similar to Styrofoam or what one might expect from fake snow. Since many of you have grown up in a culture that knows the distinct difference between wet, sticky snow, dry, loose snow and the perfect combination of these that result in packing snow this may come as no surprise. As a matter of fact I later learned that, like almost everything else tangible in life, there is a scientific reason. The snowflakes there melt in slightly different shapes, resulting in a different settling pattern. The closest approximation I can think of is the difference in bonding structure between carbon molecules in a piece of coal versus a diamond. Admittedly the strength of bonds do not vary amongst snowflakes (that would just be silly), but they layer on each other ever so differently causing a strikingly different result. What if this is also true of Australian snow?! It exists, I know it does. What will I do if it’s second rate? I’ll let you know whenever I ever get the chance to discover.

Appropriately, as I sit here in JFK for my next flight, the song “Land Down Under” is playing. I think you are now sharing my moment of realization with me. The immensity of my journey is just now settling in. Every feeling associated with such a move is now rushing at me; fear, anxiety, impatience, happiness, sadness, and most of all excitement. Excitement to see Ash for the first time in months, and to start the next stage of my life in Melbourne.

As a side note, I want to make a big thanks to everyone who were able to come out over the past few weeks, and those who were unable to, but would have come if circumstances had allowed. That includes all the great people in Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto Hamilton and Burlington – not to forget anywhere else as well. And to Lena for letting me enjoy my last night in North America chilling in Brooklyn. Going out in style I think.

I love you all and everyone will be greatly missed.

Booth love to all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home