Saturday, March 18, 2006

My Guitar Gently Weeps on a Ukelele



Ok, well wasting a little time has never killed anyone. For the first time in a long time I stubbled onto Google Video and low and behold, in the area of hi demand I found this young man. It wasn't his looks that attracted me, but the object he held in his hands. The small Ukelele drew me in. A phantom of my elementary school past. I can remember a time when for music class in an underfunded arts education world, my teacher pulled out a box full of ukeleles. They were each numbered and assigned to us, free to take home and practice as we wished. Admittedly I enjoyed the idea of the whole thing.
Unfortunately for Mrs D'Aoust, a group of 12/13 year olds just beginning to be influenced by the status symbol of the guitar we gave the instrument little respect. Perhaps if she had shown us this instead of teaching us Rufous Rustous Johnson Brown we would have given the whole thing a little more respect. This Jake fellow now makes me realise the folly of my ignorance of not persusing my musical beginnings, which have unfortunately already come to an end.

On a much less sentimental, down right funky note, the band who's website I mentioned in yesterday's post played a show that same night. Two as a matter of fact! One for Emergenza, a battle of the bands like competition at an admittedly impressive scale, and another for adoring fans. The boys teamed up with friends Steak this Thick and Hamilton native Shad to make for a night that definitely will not be forgotten anytime soon. The band made me proud and I couldn't get memories of one of my first days in residence back in Laird Hall. Ashley and I wondering the halls looking for people who might like new friends. Just down the hall we found Tony (now back in the US) and Amar (front centre on the picture) even more drunk than we were attempting a beat out of a drum and a guitar. How far things have come. If you didn't catch it the first time check out the Rhythm Method and I hope to catch you at their next show!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home